Tunes for the post-reviewer blues

Whether you are reading a review of a grant application or that infamous "reviewer #3's" response to your manuscript, rejection can be tough to handle.  Listening to music may be able to help you cope with this stressful event <see research on this phenomenon here>, perhaps enough to get you past this submission cycle with enough cojones for the next.  Here are some suggestions, take 'em or leave 'em:

 Phase 1: Denial and depression - no way, it can't be

 "Better Man" by Pearl Jam.
Can't find a better man. You're stuck in this.

 "Black" by Pearl Jam.
Just so obviously appropriate.  Although maybe love song for NIH/NSF. "Yeah.  I know someday you'll have a beautiful life . I know you'll be a star. In somebody else's sky. But why. Why. Why can't it be. Why can't it be mine."  Why can't that $$ be mine...


"Mr. Self Destruct" by Nine Inch Nails
I bring you the 90's Trent Reznor, sigh, what a dreamboat "I take you where you want to go. I give you all you need to know. I drag you down I use you up Mr. Self-destruct"

"Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails
 Again, Trent Reznor. "I hurt myself today..."doesn't the review process hurt everyone, friends?

"One Step Closer" by Linkin Park
"Everything you say to me takes me one step closer to the edge...and I'm about to break". There's some wisdom in that...develop a thick skin early for the review process.

Phase 2: Anger - what the f**k do they know, anyway?
  
"F**k You" by Cee Lo Green
This song should be a classic. And although this is a song about personal rejection, I think that the chorus itself resonates: "I've got some news for you.  Ooh, I really hate your a** right now"


"The Way I Am" by Eminem
"I am not Mr. Friendly" and "No patience is in me." This how you feel?

"Karma Police" by Radiohead
 "This is what you get when you mess with us".  If only it were an open review...

Phase 3: Empowerment (or self-delusion) -- you ARE the best...you just don't have a grant..or that pub..YET

"Not Afraid" by Eminem
"We'll walk this road together, through the storm, whatever weather, cold or warm. Just letting you know that you're not alone"..that's for damn sure.  With pay lines as meager as they are, you are certainly part of a big club!

"Ella" by Bebe
Obviously, you need to learn Spanish. This song is worth it.  "Hoy vas a descubrir que el mundo es solo para ti, que nadie puede hacerte dano"

"Part of me" by Katy Perry
The pheonix rises from the ashes. "You chewed me up and spit me out, like I was poison in your mouth."

"Firework" by Katy Perry
No one does a fresh start like Katy. "Come on show them what you're worth!"

"I gotta feeling" by Black Eyed Peas
If this song doesn't get you to lift your a** back up and into that bench/desk, nothing will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gestating a human takes less time than publishing a paper

The Wolbachia "holy grail"

ASM's MRA Journal Supports Undergraduate Research